Research Partner Profile
Dean, Graduate School
Co-PI and Project Manager
Associate Dean, Graduate School
Participating Programs (9)
Engineering, Other Programs
Brown University will focus on the role of monitored milestones in improving degree completion. The specific interventions are focused in three areas: 1) advising, mentoring and research; 2) support and funding structures; and, 3) administrative procedures. A new graduate student management plan was launched in 2007, and several of the components of this plan are consistent with suggested interventions listed by the Ph.D. Completion Project. Nine graduate programs will participate in the project; these graduate programs will have the freedom to prioritize interventions in the target areas that are specific to their needs and give special consideration to the participation of women and underrepresented minority students.
Advising, Mentoring and Research
• Revise graduate student handbooks for each program.
• Require each first year student to have an advisor or advisory
structure. Conduct regular evaluations of progress.
• Clearly articulate program expectations/academic milestones,
requiring completion of all pre-dissertation milestones before year 4.
Support and Funding Structures
• Guarantee multiyear support by allocation of funding to
• Monitor the timing of teaching/lab rotations and other obligations
conducted early in academic training career.
• Monitor studentsí requests for conference travel support.
• Create/enhance institutional data base on students via a web-
based system to track student aid types.
• Monitor and track all non-completion leaves.
• Launch Early Start Program.
• Monitor the process of advisor/mentor selection, especially for
minorities and women.
• Foster a research environment and a culture of competing for
• Support the beginning of the dissertation research stage.